We’ve all heard about ‘Home Staging’, right? Well, it really does work! Preparing your house before it is ever shown can be the difference between selling it quickly at the right price and having it sit on the market for 8 months. There are professionals that you can hire to really dress up your house but here are some basic, common sense things that everybody can do:
1. Thorough Cleaning! Duh! Who wants to buy a dirty house?
2. De-clutter. Move the dust collectors, excess kids’ toys and other stuff to storage while you are showing your house.
3. De-personalize. The goal is to create a blank canvas so the home buyer can envision their own ‘stuff’ in your house. Box up the family photos and other mementos for the time being.
4. Neutral colors. The home needs to appeal to both men and women. Having a pink and fluffy bedroom might be your style, but the husband may not be able to see beyond it.
5. Repairs. That small hole in the wall may not bother you but it can be a major turnoff to potential buyers.
6. Curb appeal. Remember the old saying…you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression? Well, the front of your house is the first impression a buyer gets. If it’s junky or dirty, the buyer may have that feeling about the whole house. Sweep, clean, repaint the front door. Make it pretty!
There are tons of things you can do to make your house appealing to a buyer. Here are a few more tips:
Ready to sell your Louisville home? Call me, I’ll help you stage it to sell quickly!
Bruce Moore, Realtor
E-Pro – Specialist in using the latest Technology to help buyers find and buy their dream home.
IRES – International Real Estate Specialist